Post-Graduate Department of Commerce
The Department of Commerce was started in the year 1999 with B. Com. Computer Applications Course, the highly demanding course in the academic and business scenario of the country. The Department aims at fostering the commerce students with all sorts of competencies to effectively contribute to the society with acquiescence and dexterity. It was elevated to the status of a Post Graduate Department in 2013 with the starting of M.Com. Course. The specialisation offered is Finance. The present student strength of the department is 120. The commerce alumni of the department include many well-known personalities in business, management, banking, insurance, chartered accountancy, sports and politics. The pass percentage of the Department is 98% with many outstanding performers.
Infrastructure and Learning Resource
- Over 500 books(Published after 1990)by Indian & Foreign authors
- Ten journals are subscribed in the department
- A computer laboratory with over 20 computers with internet facility.
- All modern audio-visual gadgets are used for handling classes.
Special Features of the Department
- State level and National seminars are conducted periodically
- Service of External Resource persons available
- Remedial coaching programme for the academically backward students
- Special coaching for the gifted
- Facilities for providing career guidance and personal counseling
Student centered activities
- Industrial and Institutional visits
- Participation in Inter Collegiate Commerce Fests conducted by other colleges
- Compulsory participation in intellectual competitions
- Business related competitions organized by students
- Active participation of students in University , Inter University and National Level Youth Festivals
- Study tour
Scholarships and Cash Prizes from the Department
- Philomina Devasia,Chokkamthayil memorial scholarship to II B.com degree meritorious student
- Very Rev Fr.Sebastain LC Presentation merit scholarship for the highest scorer in commerce for the final year
- Pro.P.J Augustin merit -cum means cash prize instituted by the non-teaching staff of the college to a final year degree student
- P.L Sextus memorial scholarship to a degree student on merit -cum means basis donated by Smt Lila Sextus
- Koilparambil Cherianmapilai and Beatrice Cherian Mapilai memorial cash prize to second year degree student from the diocese of alappuzha on the basis of marks obtained in English for the first year University examination.
- Bishop Michael Arattukulam Episcopal silver jubilee cash prize to one final year degree student